For Parents and Clients
At Sydney SLP, we are qualified to provide assessments, diagnosis and treatment for a range of speech, language and literacy concerns.
Specifically, we assess, diagnose and treat:
- speech sound disorders or delays;
- articulation errors e.g. lisp;
- receptive (what a child can understand) and expressive (what a child can say) language disorders;
- problems with social communication;
- pre-literacy delays (understanding that words are made of sounds and sounds can be blended to make words); and
- literacy delays (reading, writing and spelling)
Assessment is an important first step to helping your child reach their potential. Our assessments are designed to identify your child’s strengths as well as challenges. Our assessments measure whether there is a speech, language, literacy or other disorder present.
To do this we use a range of formal (standardized) and informal (observations, interviews, “play” activities, and speech and language samples) assessments. Our assessments take between 1 hour and 30 minutes and 2 hours, depending on the concerns raised and the needs of the child. Assessments can be completed in one session or be broken up into 45 minute sessions.
In addition to the assessment in the clinic, parents will be asked to complete a questionnaire prior to the assessment appointment. This questionnaire will ensure that we select the right assessments to address your concerns.
Following the assessment, you will receive a comprehensive, easy to read report with recommendations. The report will clearly explain:
- if there is a disorder and the nature of that disorder;
- where your child’s speech, language and/or literacy skills are compared to children of the same age or years of schooling;
- your child’s strengths and challenges;
- if therapy is recommended;
- what therapy goals are recommended;
- recommendations for parents to help your child at home; and
- recommendations for teachers to help the child at pre-school or school.
If therapy is recommended, we work with your family to develop goals. These SMART goals become the child’s management plan.
Therapy sessions are 45 minutes long. Depending on your child’s diagnosis and your family’s needs, therapy can be weekly or fortnightly. Activities for home practise will be provided at the end of every therapy session.
SCHOOL and PRESCHOOL Consultations
When a disorder or learning need is diagnosed, we are available to attend school individual planning meetings. Typically, these meetings are organized by a schools Special Needs Teacher or the Classroom Teacher, following the parent’s submission of the Speech and Language Report. These meetings are designed to discuss the individual needs of the child, and to set specific goals for the school to target when working with your child. The document produced at this meeting is called Individual Education Plan in public schools, Individual Adjustment Plan (IAP) in Sydney Catholic Schools, or may go under another name in private schools.
Our goal at Sydney SLP, is to ensure that you have all the knowledge you need to be the best advocate for your child. However, if you need additional support we are available to attend these important school meetings.